Adult Visible Acne
Title: “Nobody likes damaged goods”: the experience
of adult visible acne
Authors: Murray CD, Rhodes K
Publication: Br J Health Psychol. 2005 May;10(Pt
In this study, 11 patients suffering from adult acne were interviewed.
The authors noted five psychological themes emerged:
• Powerlessness and the variable nature of the acne
• Comparison, self-image and identity
• General social interactions
• Family and friends relationship
• Gender, sexuality, and romantic relationships.
These distinct experiences may play roles to improve the psychological
health of adult acne sufferers.