What Diseases are Caused by Tick Bites?
Ticks are small insects that feed on blood.
Although the bites themselves do not hurt, ticks can carry bacteria
and viruses that cause diseases.
Ixodes tick that can spread lyme
Two diseases that are commonly spread by ticks in the United
- Lyme disease
The symptoms of lyme disease are red circles on the skin with
clear center (resembling a target or bull's eye).
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
The symptoms of this disease are a rash that start on the palm
and soles of the feet, which then spread to the rest of the
Spotted rash found due to Rocky Mountain
Prevention of Tick Bites
You can avoid tick bites by:
- Wearing long-sleeved shirts, gloves, and long pants. Tuck
the pants into socks or boots to avoid ticks crawling up the
- Using insect repellent with DEET on exposed skin
- Avoid grassy fields and wooded areas where ticks live
- Upon returning from tick-infested areas, inspect your body
and remove ticks if present
Lyme disease and especially Rocky Mountain spotted fever are
serious diseases that require immediate medical attention.